Regularly commenting on popular blogs where your target audience hangs out is a great way to gain new readers/leads on your own blog/website.
How does that work? When you leave your comment on your peer’s popular blog, the blog will ask for your name, your email and your website. On your publicly viewable comment, your email is hidden, but your name is viewable. Your name also links to your website (see the image above).
Sometimes you are also allowed to upload an “avatar” when you leave a comment on someone’s blog, which is like your profile image on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. It appears next to your comment on the blog. Having an image next to your comment peaks interest, and you will have a better chance of people clicking your name which will bring them over to your website to explore. This is a great way to gain new readers and leads that are your perfect target audience.
Be sure the comments you leave are meaningful and grammatically correct. They will live forever on the blogs you post to. Your comments can bring you traffic forever too if interesting. Spend time on your comments. I read one very popular blogger said that he spends up to 20 minutes on each comment he leaves.
My special tip for you this week is a way to streamline the process of adding your “avatar” to your comments on blogs globally.
A Gravatar is a Globally Recognized Avatar. You upload the “avatar” image and create your profile just once, and then when you leave comments on any Gravatar-enabled site (which is the majority of blogs on the internet), your Gravatar image will automatically follow you there and show on your comment.
How to create your own Gravatar (it’s FREE and Easy!)
- Visit http://en.gravatar.com/
- Click the Sign In button in the upper right of the homepage
- You need a WordPress.com account. If you have one, just sign in. Then you will be asked to authorize Gravatar for your account.
- If you don’t have a WordPress.com account, just simply click Need an Account? and register for a free new one.
- If you need to sign up for a new account, please enter your email address (make sure this is correct), and select a username and a password. The system will tell you if any of the information you are entering is invalid. Click Sign Up to submit your registration.
- Next, they’ll send you an email to confirm your address. You won’t be able to use Gravatar until you click on the link in that email. The email will come from WordPress.com, not Gravatar. Click on the Activate Account button to finish the process.
- You’ll be taken back to WordPress.com where you’ll see a message thanking you for confirming your email and asking if you want to head back over to Gravatar. Click the Sign In to Gravatar button to do that. They’ll log you in to Gravatar automatically.
- That’s it! You are ready to add your Gravatar image and crop it if needed. Then customize your profile with as much or as little info as you choose.
- Now whenever you comment on blogs that are Gravatar enabled you will see your beautiful Gravatar image next to your comment.
I really suggest you complete this tip. It will help build your brand identity and get your business recognition internet wide. As well as help the comments you make on popular blogs have a better chance of bringing traffic, new readers and leads to your website. It’s your time to be GLOBALLY RECOGNIZED!